Steps to End Violence Against Women Walk
At Prophix, we like to support local programs and charities to give back to the community where we work, and so many of us live. Recently, the Prophix team got together to support an important cause and enjoy a walk through Mississauga parks.
Interim Place has been providing shelter, support, counselling and advocacy to help abused women and their children break the cycle of violence for over 35 years. Since 1981 Interim Place has assisted well over 40,000 women and children over the years, find safety, heal and build new lives free of abuse.
Each year, Interim Place hosts a fundraising event called “Steps to End Violence Against Women Walk,” It’s a three-kilometre stroll that is dedicated to remembering women in Mississauga who lost their lives to violence.
The Prophix team was honoured to raise funds and participate in the walk. Thanks to Prophix matching employee donations, we raised about $2000 to support Interim Place, and they kindly awarded us as the Top Corporate Team for raising the most funds!
Every dollar goes a long way, for example:
• $75.00 provides a Rescue Ride to help a woman and her children escape to safety
• $250.00 provides a Shelter Welcome kit which includes new pajamas, undergarments, socks, slippers, bathrobes, toiletries and personal items
• $750 provides a Fresh Start for a mom and her two children to settle into their new permanent home in the community.
• $1,080 provides one year of free, confidential 24-hour crisis counselling for one woman experiencing abuse in the community to keep herself and her children safe and a plan to safely escape.
• $1,440 provides 24-hour a day access to one-to-one and group counselling for a woman with three children during their four-month shelter stay.
As a Prophix employee, it’s tremendously satisfying to be able to contribute to places like Interim Place and help important organizations.
About the Author