When it comes to cloud software, our customers often ask about the difference or importance of “multi-tenancy.” vs. “single-tenancy.”
First… lets define it.
Think of multi-tenancy like desk sharing in a busy office, when a desk is not being used by one employee, then another can take it over. This ensures that we are using our desks at the most efficient capacity possible. This “sharing” approach applied well to the early days of cloud computing, but the pendulum has swung. Office space is expensive, but cloud resources continue to become less and less expensive, the need to share computing resources is not as essential as the need to share desks. When a asked “is Prophix multi-tenant?” I would reply to them that it doesn’t matter.
Why doesn’t it matter?
- The business user should be unaware that a solution was single tenant or multi-tenant. In our desk sharing example, the end-user experience should be: show up, sit down, start work. This is fine until you show up one day, all the desks are taken, and you must wait in line to start your work day. Similarly, the argument to push for multi-tenancy could result in the end-user login and get a message that the system resources are busy when they have an important deadline in front of them. Prophix is single-tenant, so the resources that you purchase are yours and only yours.
- Many years ago, the IT Buyer multi-tenant debate centered around people not being on the same version if they were not multi-tenant, or the fact that it was difficult to upgrade. This is a poor argument because in today’s cloud environment, everyone can be on the same version and on the same upgrade cadence in a single tenant environment because of the modern tools available. We’ve architected Prophix to be simple to upgrade and maintain and have created tools to facilitate this.
Advantages of single-tenant environments:
- Every cloud customer has a dedicated environment provisioned to meet the strictest security requirements.
- Data is never co-mingled with data from another customer and access to data is limited to only your organization’s users.
- One customer will never be impacted by the behavior of another customer utilizing Prophix Cloud services.
- Each environment can be customized to meet unique requirements with respect to computing power and logical access.
About the Author